Back to News

Second Annual Powerful Learners Conference Draws Record Crowds

Keynote Speaker addresses conference

More than 100 educators joined us at Gateway High’s Impact Lab on February 1 for our Second Annual Powerful Learners Conference, an incredible day of learning and collaboration focused on helping educators develop the skills and mindsets necessary to meet students' social and emotional, as well as academic needs both in and out of the classroom. 

The day’s agenda was anchored by a keynote presentation on “Cultivating SEL to Advance Equity” by Dr. Channa Cook-Harvey, Director of Social and Emotional Learning at Folsom Cordova School District. The conference featured 12 interactive workshops, an ice-breaker and networking activities, and a hosted happy hour after the programming day. 

Asked to rate overall satisfaction with Powerful Learners on a scale of 1-10 with one being least satisfied and 10 being the most satisfied, 52% of respondents rated the conference a perfect 10, with another 33% rating it a 9, for a total of 85% of all respondents rating the conference as superlative. In addition, over 95% of respondents strongly agreed or agreed that they would recommend this Powerful Learners Conference to colleagues next year. Read a full summary of the event here.

This year the Powerful Learners Conference was a collaborative effort between Gateway and experts from Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco, Peninsula Bridge, and the Stanford Teacher Education Program (STEP). This wide range of expertise and perspectives allowed us to provide sessions targeted toward anyone and everyone who supports K-12 students, whether they work in the classroom, in the non-profit sector, or are still in university studying to become a teacher.

We are deeply appreciative of our partners, presenters and our many attendees who spent the day with us, and look forward to next year’s conference on Feb. 6, 2021!