Gateway Middle School, a public charter school in San Francisco, is seeking a part-time Math Interventionist Paraprofessional / Teaching Intern. Gateway Middle School is committed to helping each student – regardless of learning style or previous academic achievement – learn the skills, habits and knowledge necessary for success in college and beyond.
Key Characteristics of Gateway Middle School:
- A small school where all students are known well and supported to achieve at high levels
- A strong commitment to and respect for diversity and difference
- An emphasis on four core values and restorative practices to develop positive relationships and community
- A faculty who believes that all students learn differently and who vary their approaches to meet individuals’ needs
- A supportive adult community characterized by continuous learning, reflection and collaboration
Math Teacher Intern Responsibilities:
The Mathematics Interventionist Paraprofessional / Teacher Intern raises the mathematics achievement of students by providing targeted instruction in mathematics to individuals and small groups within or outside of the classroom.
- Collaborate with Math teachers and instructional coach to plan and implement targeted math instruction.
- Provide math instruction to individual students and small groups within and outside of the general education classroom setting.
- Assess and monitor student progress weekly, in collaboration with teachers and Math/Science instructional coach.
- Support the social and emotional needs of students through positive relationship building, appropriate support and engaging instruction.
- Work in multiple classrooms or environments during the school day and integrate into each classroom setting, working under the direction of the classroom teacher and/or instructional coach.
- Participate in staff professional development.
- Perform other responsibilities as may be assigned by the Math/Science instructional coach or principal.
- Maintain flexibility in day-to-day priorities set to reflect changing school needs.
- Commitment to Gateway's mission is essential, including a desire to work with a diverse student body
- Bachelor’s Degree; Mathematics background preferred, but not required
- Passion for working with youth and ability to engage students in learning
- Experience working with middle school students preferred
- Strong communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with colleagues
- Interest in teaching math and training to become a teacher highly desired (intern position)
- Bilingual candidates and candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply
- Hourly position for approximately 20 hours per week (approx. half-time position)
- Competitive hourly rate based on level of experience ($20-30/hour)
To Apply: Please e-mail or send the following:
- Your resume, a cover letter, and 3 references (name, relationship, and contact information)
Gateway Middle School
1512 Golden Gate Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94115
Gateway Middle School supports and challenges all students to discover their unique potential, actively participate in their community, and develop skills and habits to achieve excellence in high school and college.