About Gateway Public Schools
In 1998, a group of San Francisco parents had the dream of creating a school that would be a gateway to college for all students regardless of race, income or learning style. Expanding on its success, Gateway Middle School was established in 2011 to support students starting in 6th grade. Today, Gateway’s mission is to prepare a broad range of learners for success in college and beyond by combining a rigorous academic program with an approach where the individual talents, strengths and needs of our learners are identified and supported.
Gateway Impact is an initiative of Gateway Public Schools that is committed to improving education outcomes of young people through sharing best practices and by bringing educators together to collaborate and learn from each other. Gateway Impact has three key activity areas: Gateway Impact Online, Idea Exchange and the annual Powerful Learners Conference.
The Powerful Learners Conference brings together educators, youth workers, tutors, resource specialists, and administrators from across the Bay Area to learn concrete strategies designed to increase students’ belief in themselves as learners and their power in the classroom and beyond. On Saturday, February 6, 2021 Gateway will host the 3rd Annual Powerful Learners Conference, either in-person, virtual or a blended format depending on the current COVID-19 health recommendations.
Gateway is seeking a part-time temporary coordinator to manage the planning and execution of the 2021 Powerful Learners Conference. Reporting to the Director of Development and Outreach, the coordinator is responsible for the successful implementation of the annual conference with a focus on logistics, communications, and presenter/participant experience. The coordinator will support the conference planning team’s goal of increasing attendance by at least 50% over last year.
The position is remote as of the current workplace regulations in San Francisco, and will transition to in-person if/when it is safe to return to Gateway’s office in Western Addition.
Scope of Work
- Work as a thought partner and collaborator with the Gateway conference team
- Act as the primary point of contact for the conference internally and externally
- Facilitate partner organization communications and planning meetings, and support joint marketing efforts
- Manage booking, tracking and delivering of vendors (including catering) and supplies
- Manage onsite conference prep (will vary depending on format): room and tech reservations, room set-up and configurations, materials and supplies for presenters
- Manage day-of coordination (will vary depending on format): greet attendees, check-in guests and presenters, knowledgeable on all conference information to support attendees
- Work with presenters to gather all conference materials, including workshop write-ups, bios and headshots, tech and supply needs
- Work with Communications Manager to prepare marketing content
- Recruit and train conference volunteers, as needed
- Prepare and present registration reports leading up to and after the conference
- Track and maintain clean, updated and accessible data
- Coordinate post-conference communications, including sharing of workshop materials
- Manage post-conference feedback processes that enable Gateway to reliably gather, aggregate, and integrate feedback from participants to improve future programs
- 3-5 years of experience in events and/or conference coordination
- Attention to detail; strong organizational skills, verbal and written communication skills; and ability to work collaboratively across teams
- Organize, prioritize and coordinate multiple work activities with the ability to meet deadlines
- Agility and flexibility in response to changing priorities and needs
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Proficient in Google Suite, experience with CMS and email marketing platforms strongly preferred
- Experience with the set up and management of virtual meetings and tools, e.g. Zoom
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to continuously acquire new competencies and accept new challenges
Compensation and Benefits
This position is a part-time, non-exempt hourly position. Compensation is commensurate with experience and ranges from $30 to $40 per hour.
Submit your resume and a cover letter that details your interest in the position and Gateway to email@example.com. Interviews will be conducted by phone and Zoom.
Resume review: July-August
Phone and Zoom interviews: August
Onboarding: September 1
Gateway is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+ persons, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.